Memorial Volume for Y. Nambu
Lars Brink, Lay Nam Chang
We have lost one of the giants of the twentieth century physics when Yoichiro Nambu passed away in July, 2015, at the age of 94.
Today's Standard Model, though still incomplete in many respects, is the culmination of the most successful theory of the Universe to date, and it is built upon foundations provided by discoveries made by Nambu in the 1960s: the mechanism of spontaneously broken symmetry in Nature (with G Jona-Lasinio) and the hidden new SU(3) symmetry of quarks and gluons (with M-Y Han).
In this volume honoring Nambu's memory, World Scientific Publishing presents a unique collection of papers written by his former colleagues, collaborating researchers and former students and associates, not only citing Nambu's great contributions in physics but also many personal and private reminiscences, some never told before. This volume also contains the very last scientific writing by Professor Nambu himself, discussing the development of particle physics.
This book is a volume for all who benefited not only from Nambu's contributions toward understanding the Universe but also his warm and kind persona. It is a great addition to the history of contemporary physics.Contents:
- Effective Field Theory, Past and Future (Steven Weinberg)
- Yoichiro Nambu and the Origin of Mass (Tom W B Kibble)
- Yoichiro Nambu: Visionary Theorist Who Shaped Modern Particle Physics (Michael S Turner)
- Yoichiro Nambu (Peter G O Freund, Jeffrey Harvey, Emil Martinec and Pierre Ramond)
- Yoichiro Nambu (Jorge Willemsen)
- Yoichiro Nambu (Louis Clavelli)
- Yoichiro Nambu: Remembering an Unusual Physicist, a Mentor and a Friend (Giovanni Jona-Lasinio)
- Nambu–Goldstone Theorem and Spin-Statistics Theorem (Kazuo Fujikawa)
- Pre-String Theory (Paul H Frampton)
- Some Reminiscences from a Long Friendship (Lars Brink)
- Yoichiro Nambu: Visionary Gentleman Scientist (Lay Nam Chang)
- The Roots of QCD, Nambu's Drama and Humor (Moo-Young Han)
- Hommage à Nambu (Pierre Ramond)
- Nambu at Work (Peter G O Freund)
- Yoichiro Nambu (H B Nielsen)
- Appendix: Reminiscences of the Youthful Years of Particle Physics (Yoichiro Nambu)
Readership: University students and researchers interested in particle physics or the work of Professor Yoichiro Nambu.
- Dedicated to Yoichiro Nambu, a Nobel laureate
- Edited by important collaborators of Nambu with prominent contributors
- Contains the last scientific writing by Nambu